Olga Averyanova, new VOC Chief Editor
I hate snow
- Olga, as far as I know you are a very diversified: was engaged in programming and journalism, did dressage, worked in casino for a long time (very criminal business), etc... Now you making up farm with butterflies and orchids near Sihanoukville, and started to edit The Voice of Cambodia. How do you find the time for everything?
Let me clarify - the casino in Russia since mid-90's was not as criminal as agreed to think about it. I`d rather say, it turned into quite a respectable service enterprises. The entire business has become a truly criminal after had entering into a force Federal Low N 244 of July 2009, which closed all the legal casinos in Russia. Incidentally, I did not worked "underground" even a second.
How do I do all of this? I'm just doing only what I'm wondering for many years. Horse and dog dressage, scuba and sky diving. Orchids - old love of mine, I was grooving it in Moscow, and only now I`ve started to understand that was a feat in a city, under conditions so far from natural. Lepidoptera is my recent passion. I had written before, but editing of the Internet resource is very new for me and I take up the process of getting a great pleasure. Truly, time is never enough, sometimes I envy Shiva with many arms.
- What are the causes of your immigration? And why did you choose Cambodia?
I hate snow. This is the first reason. The other side of the coin - thanks to my second hi-grade education, sociological, I can see or guess at what is happening in Russia today and do not want to share it even indirectly. I want nothing there where I cannot do anything. I have traveled a lot around the world, and Southeast Asia attracted me strong. Choose Cambodia for many reasons: people, both white and Khmer, wonderful climate, growing economic of the country and, the most important, “feeling as at home”.
- At your fresh sight, the Russian diaspora of Sihanoukville - what kind of people gathered here?
It is not easy to reach Sihanoukville; there are no direct flights from Russia to Cambodia, so people, who live here, came not accidental. I will never say that all the people I met here - nice, words like this looks stupid. But it is unreal huge amount of clever and interesting people living in this city. Just as it is, the Russian community is very friendly to newcomers and, if necessary, helps. Thanks to them all!
- I characterize Cambodia as a country of the Sinners and Romantics. What kind of definition will you give for this country?
About a year ago I was travelling through Thailand to Burma and Cambodia. Accidentally seen slogans on billboards in these three countries, all of that had compiled in the end of the trip into the list: "Thailand is a country of smiles", "Burma is a country of gold" and "Cambodia - country of a dream". Like very romantic person, I chose dreams.
- How do you imagine the future of the site "Voice of Cambodia?" What are going to do? And in general, by your opinion, is it possible to earn good money with online media in Cambodia?
What do I like about the site and going to keep it and extend - it is an absolute original texts and photos, the special own look. No any copywriting or copypasting. I am going to make new reviews, articles and update directories. From what is in the nearest future: a review of bookstores with a map of Sihanoukville, city guide for consumers of beer (just in time for Oktoberfest), comparative description of the quality of the courses to be a professional gemologist.
Is it possible and am I able to earn good money in this business? The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Internet infrastructure in the country is developing now, as well as the entire economy. I do believe in a future.
22 September 2011